This Clean Keto Chicken Mexican Rice is a low-carb twist on a Mexican favorite. It is quick and easy to make, and totally delicious!
Mexican food is one of those cuisines that seem to be popular in many countries around the world. Apart from being very tasty, it tends to be quick and simple to make. Plus, you can make it as healthy (or unhealthy) as you’d like.
Mexican food is quite easy to make low-carb – cheese tacos replace corn taco shells, lettuce leaves replace wraps for burritos, and cauliflower rice is an excellent substitute for rice.
This Mexican Chicken and Rice recipe is a flavorful and easy one-pot meal. If you’re looking for a delicious and easy one-pot meal that’s packed with flavor, this Mexican chicken and rice recipe is for you!
This dish is a classic comfort food that’s perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends. It’s also a great way to use up leftover rice or chicken.
One Pot Mexican chicken and rice is a versatile dish that can be customized to your liking. If you’re following a low-carb or keto diet, you can substitute cauliflower rice for regular rice or long-grain rice.
You can also top the dish with shredded cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes, or diced avocado for added flavor and creaminess.
One of the great things about this One Pot Mexican chicken and rice is that it’s a complete meal in one dish. The chicken provides protein, while the rice and vegetables add fiber and essential vitamins and minerals.
This makes it a great option for anyone looking to eat a balanced diet or trying to meal prep for the week.
In addition to being a delicious and satisfying meal, One Pan Mexican chicken and rice is also a budget-friendly option. Chicken and rice are both relatively inexpensive ingredients, and you can often find canned tomatoes and green chilies on sale.
This makes it a great option for anyone trying to eat healthy while sticking to a budget.
I am a huge fan of rice made from cauliflower. You’ll see it feature in many recipes. Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice in particular is a staple side dish in my Ketogenic meals because it is so flavorful and easy to make.
Preparing Cauliflower Rice
You can make your own riced cauliflower or buy a pre-made. The pre-made cauliflower rice comes in fresh or frozen packs – either option works well. If you use frozen riced cauliflower, it may take a little longer to cook.
A quick tip: Cook your riced cauliflower over medium-high heat. This way you will fry the cauliflower rather than steam it. This will help reduce the cauliflower smell and improve the flavor and texture.
Why Chicken Breast is a Perfect Protein Source for a Keto Diet
Chicken breast is a popular protein source for many people on a keto diet, and for good reason. This lean meat is not only low in carbs, but it’s also high in protein, making it a great choice for those following a low-carb, high-protein diet.
Additionally, chicken breasts are versatile and easy to prepare. You can grill, bake, or sauté it, and it can be used in a variety of dishes, from salads and stir-fries to soups and stews.
Furthermore, chicken breasts can be seasoned in many different ways to add flavor and variety to your meals.
How to Make Mexican Chicken and Rice
1. Gather all the ingredients.
Here are the ingredients that you need aside from the riced cauliflower and chicken:
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is a versatile oil extracted from the meat of mature coconuts. It has a high smoke point and is commonly used in cooking and baking due to its unique flavor and health benefits.
- Garlic powder: Garlic powder is a dehydrated and powdered form of garlic that is commonly used as a seasoning in a variety of dishes. It has a pungent flavor and aroma and is often used to add depth and complexity to savory recipes.
- Chili powder: Chili powder is a spice blend typically made from dried chili peppers, cumin, garlic powder, and other spices. It is commonly used in Tex-Mex and Mexican cuisine and can add a smoky, spicy flavor to dishes.
- Cumin: Cumin is a spice commonly used in Indian, Mexican, and Middle Eastern cuisines. It has a warm, earthy flavor and is often used in spice blends like curry powder and chili powder.
- Cayenne pepper: Cayenne pepper is a hot pepper that is commonly ground into a spice powder. It has a fiery, pungent flavor and is often used to add heat to dishes like chili and curry.
- Bell pepper: A sweet pepper with a mild, slightly tangy flavor. It comes in a variety of colors, including green, red, yellow, and orange, and can be eaten raw or cooked.
- Green chilies: Small, spicy peppers that are commonly used in Mexican cuisine. They can be fresh or canned and are often used in salsas, soups, and stews to add heat and flavor.
- Onion: A bulb vegetable with a pungent, sweet flavor. It can be eaten raw or cooked and is often used as a base for many recipes due to its flavor and ability to add depth and complexity to dishes.
- Garlic: A pungent, flavorful herb commonly used in cooking. It can be used fresh or dried and is often used to add flavor to savory dishes like pasta, soups, and roasted meats. Garlic is also known for its health benefits, including its immune-boosting properties.
2. Cut the peppers and onions into bite-size pieces.
3. Cook the Mexican Chicken
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Cube the chicken into 1-inch pieces and cook for 5 minutes.
Add in all the seasonings, pepper, chilies, onion, and garlic, and continue to cook until the chicken is fully cooked.
4. Add the rice
Stir to combine. Let cook for 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat.
5. Serve and enjoy
Serve with dressing and top with cilantro and scallions or with your desired toppings.
What to serve with Mexican Chicken and Rice?
I like to serve my One Pan Mexican chicken and rice topped with a creamy dressing, and then add some cilantro and scallions for freshness.
I use Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo for my dressing. It is made with avocado oil, organic cage-free eggs, and without added sugars, artificial ingredients, gluten, soy, or canola oil. It is also Keto Certified and Paleo-friendly. (Plus it tastes great!)
Tips for Reheating and Storing Leftover Mexican Chicken and Rice
Mexican chicken and rice is a delicious and satisfying meal that’s perfect for lunch or dinner. If you have leftovers, you can easily store them in the refrigerator or freezer for later.
Here are some tips for reheating and storing leftover Mexican chicken and rice to ensure it stays fresh and delicious.
- Store leftovers properly: To store leftover Mexican chicken and rice, place it in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator or freezer. Make sure to label the container with the date so you can keep track of when it was made.
- Reheat slowly: When reheating leftover Mexican chicken and rice, it’s important to do so slowly to avoid overcooking the chicken or drying out the rice. You can reheat it in the microwave, but be sure to stir it occasionally and cover it with a damp paper towel to keep the moisture in. Alternatively, you can reheat it on the stove over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Add moisture: If your leftover Mexican chicken and rice are too dry, you can add some moisture to them by adding a small amount of water or chicken broth. This will help to keep the chicken and rice from becoming too dry and give it a fresh flavor.
- Use within a few days: To ensure the quality of the leftover Mexican chicken and rice, it’s best to use it within a few days of making it. If you’re not planning on using it within that time frame, consider freezing it instead.
- Freeze for later: To freeze leftover Mexican chicken and rice, transfer it to a freezer-safe container and label it with the date. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. When reheating, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating it on the stove or in the microwave.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your leftover Mexican chicken and rice stays fresh and delicious, whether you’re reheating it for a quick meal or storing it in the freezer for later.
More Clean Keto Recipes to Try:
- Easy Chili Lime Steak Fajitas
- Clean Keto Chili
- Clean Keto Steak Tacos
- Clean Keto Gochujang Sesame Broccoli
- Clean Keto Chocolate Waffles
One Pan Mexican chicken and rice is a simple and satisfying dish that’s perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re feeding a crowd or just looking for a quick and easy dinner, this flavorful one-pot meal is a great recipe that is sure to be a hit.
Make this one-pot meal tonight and enjoy a full-of-flavor dinner meal.
Are you a big fan of Mexican recipes too? Feel free to share your favorite Mexican recipes in the comments.