Remember those yummy Corn Dogs at the Fair? Well, these Keto Corn Dogs are even better!
It’s the third week of January and I am already thinking of Summer.
Also, the Super Bowl is in a few weeks and I am putting together my favorite Keto Super Bowl recipes, these Corn Dogs included.
I’ve been pretty health conscious for most of my life but I will say that one of my weaknesses is Corn Dogs.
If I am ever at a fair or see a corn dog stand, I can’t help myself. Yes, I know, they are fried in terrible oil and filled with crap ingredients, but they are so good never the less.
I’ve been really missing corn dogs lately and when I thought of what I could use to replace the “batter”, Fathead dough came to mind.
What is fathead dough you ask? If you follow a Keto diet you have probably seen it because it’s used for everything! It’s pretty much cheese, cream cheese, eggs and almond flour.
So, I figured, why not wrap hot dogs in fathead dough and bake them? Well, it’s easier said than done. There are a few things you should keep in mind when making this recipe.
- Make sure you use part-skim mozzarella cheese. If you use whole milk mozzarella the dough will be runny and you it won’t stick to the hot dogs.
- Add more almond flour to the dough if you need to so you can spread it out thinner and cut strips off and wrap the hot dogs that way.
- Be patient. It takes some time to evenly distribute the dough on the hot dogs and to make it, even so, you don’t have uneven parts.
- Place the hot dogs on a stick before you put the dough on the dogs.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Using coffee stir sticks, pierce the hot dogs through, leaving a couple of inches at the end.
- Place hot dogs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwavable bowl and melt for 30-60 seconds. Mix together until well combined.
- Add in the almond flour and egg. Mix until a dough forms.
- Lay down a large piece of parchment paper. Transfer dough to the middle of the parchment paper and top with another piece.
- Press the dough down. Use a dough roller to roll the dough out to 1/4-1/2 inch thickness depending on how thick you want your dogs to be.
- Remove top sheet of parchment paper and using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 8 even pieces.
- Working with one hot dog at a time, take one piece of dough and wrap it around the hot dog. Work dough into the dough to distribute the dough evenly. Place back on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with all of the hot dogs.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until dough is golden brown.
- Serve with sugar-free ketchup and mustard
If the dough is too sticky, add more almond flour and chill it for 5-10 minutes.
You may have dough left over. Use it to make pigs in a blanket.
- Serving Size: 1 hot dog
- Calories: 312
- Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: Keto Corn Dogs
This post may contain affiliate links in which if a purchase is made I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!