Summer is for Ice Cream. Celebrate the first day of summer with a Keto Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich!
I just Googled “the first day of Summer 2019” and realized that it’s tomorrow. Whaaattt? I’m glad I thought about it because I wanted to share this recipe to celebrate the first day of summer. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate Summer than Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches!!
So, backstory (there’s always one). I was never planning on creating a Keto Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich.
I was scrolling through my Instagram feed a few weeks ago and I follow @thefeedfeed so their IGTV video came up and they were showing how to make Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches.
They looked so good I almost drooled on my phone. It made me want Ice Cream Sandwiches so bad but I’m Keto! Then, I realized that I’ve made Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies before, and Keto Ice Cream exists, so why can’t I make a Keto copycat?
I can and I did!! I followed @thefeedfeed’s recipe and substituted the non-Keto ingredients such as sugar and flour with almond flour and Keto sweetener.
The ice cream part was easy because I had a bunch of Rebel and Halo Top ice cream in my freezer.
How did they turn out? A-freaking-mazing. OMG!! The cookies are soft and chewy but they don’t break apart and they came out nice and big which made hefty sandwiches.
Tips to make Keto Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Make the cookies big. You’ll be tempted to make more cookies for smaller sandwiches but don’t do it. reason being, small Keto cookies crumble and break easily.
With this recipe, I made 12 giant cookies. I literally used a normal ice cream scoop to scoop out the batter.
- Chill the dough for at least 30 min, overnight if you can. This an important step especially for this recipe because chilling the dough allows the cookies to be chewy and sturdy. If you don’t chill the dough, the fat melts quicker resulting in a “pancake cookie”. You don’t want that.
- Cut the ice cream pint into sections using a serrated knife. Using pints is easier because you can cut through the cardboard and get even slices that go directly on the cookie. You can use a cookie cutter to even out the edges and make the ice cream slice fit in between the cookies. Do this step fast so the ice cream doesn’t melt and as soon as you fill one sandwich, place it back into the freezer
The Nutritional information for this recipe is based on the cookies only. Everyone has their preference for low carb ice cream so chose your favorite and adjust accordingly!
Each cookie is about 1g NET CARBS
Keto Ice Cream Options:
- Halo Top (check the macros, each flavor is different)
- Rebel Creamery
- Artic Zero
For the cookies:
- 2 cups Almond flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 sticks of butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Lakanto Monk Fruit (get 20% with code eatbefitexplore)
- 1/2 cup Sukrin Brown Sugar Alternative
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Lily’s Baking Chips
For the sandwich-
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream eggs and sugar together in a stand mixer and slowly add in the eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix until dough forms. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop 3-inch size cookies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and chill cookies for at least 2 hours. Overnight is best.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake the cookies for 13 minutes or until they start becoming golden brown on the top.
- Let the cookies cool completely.
- To make the sandwiches:
- Using a serrated knife, cut 1-inch disks of ice cream through the pint. Use a ring cutter to form a perfect round that fits in the middle of the cookie. Place in the center of the cookie and press down with another cookie.
- Garnish the sides with chocolate chips and pistachios. Return to the freezer to set 1-2 hours.
Makes 6 large Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 132
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: chocolate chip ice cream sandwich