Bacon-wrapped meatloaf? As in – an entire meatloaf wrapped in bacon?
You read that right – your weeknight meatloaf dinner just got a keto upgrade! Serve with a side of cauliflower mash (topped with butter, of course) for the ultimate low-carb comfort meal.
Time and Temperature for Cooking Meatloaf
Because you’re working with raw eggs and pork, you’ll want to make sure that this meatloaf is cooked to well done.
If you have a meat thermometer (which I recommend you have on hand), you can use it to check that the internal temperature of the ground beef has reached a temperature of 165F.
If you don’t have a meat thermometer, you can go by time. A meatloaf of this size will take approximately 45-60 minutes. (If you’ve adjusted the recipe take care to take that into account when setting the timer.)
How Do You Keep Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf Moist?
The first step to avoiding dry meatloaf is to use the correct meat. You’ll want to use high-fat meat. Meat that is low in fat will result in a meatloaf that is dry and grainy.
If you do end up using lower-fat meat (such as lean beef, turkey, or chicken), there are other ways you can keep your meatloaf moist.
- Don’t skip any of the liquid ingredients such as ketchup, eggs, broth, etc. These all add to the moisture of the meatloaf.
- Finely chopped, sauteed vegetables will also add some moisture. In this recipe, I have used onion, but you can also include carrots and celery.
- Take care not to over-mix the mixture as it will lead to dry and dense meatloaf
- Give the meatloaf space by using a baking sheet instead of a pan. You’ll notice my recipe calls for placing the meatloaf on a baking sheet. Using a pan that is a tight fit will cause the meatloaf to ‘steam’.
- And lastly – once you take it out of the oven, let the meatloaf sit for about 10 minutes (loosely covered in foil to keep the heat). This will help lock in the juices.
Serve with cauliflower mash!
BSB Tribe membership
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion,
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Primal Kitchen Ketchup -use code ketofitmomlife for a discount
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck -use this link for a special offer
- 6 thin strips bacon- use this link for a special offer
- Preheat the oven to 350º
- Heat oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add in onion and garlic and cook until translucent. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, add ketcup, apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper to a medium saucepan. Add a few drops of Stevia and bring to a boil. Add in broth and parsley. Set aside 2 tbsp for glazing the meatloaf.
- Combine the rest of the sauce with eggs, Parmasean cheese and salt. Add beef and mix well with your hands.
- Move to a lined baking sheet and form into a log 10-12 inches long.
- Brush the remainder of the sauce on top.
- Criscross the bacon strips on top of the meatloaf and tuck underneath.
- Bake for 45 min-1 hr until meatloaf reaches 165º
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 502
- Fat: 37g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Protein: 33g
Keywords: meatloaf, bacon wrapped meatloaf