Around 3 years ago I shared my first brisket recipe with you, and I thought it was definitely time for an update!
The previous recipe was a cocoa smoked brisket, made in our barrel house cooker. Since then we have upgraded to a Trager and use it quite often (especially in the summer) for briskets, smoked chicken wings, and even smoked pork.
Today I’m going to keep it simple and show you how to make a perfect brisket.
The first thing to note is that isn’t so much about the recipe, but the process.
Here are my steps to getting the best smoked brisket:
- Season generously with the rub (recipe below)
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap
- Marinate for at least an hour, but ideally refrigerate overnight
- If refrigerated, remove the brisket a couple of hours before smoking
- Set the smoker temperature to 225F; we like to use hickory wood
- If it is a 5lb brisket, smoke it for 6 hours, or more, depending on the touch
- Halfway through the smoke (around hour 3) cover the brisket in foil and place it back on the smoker.
- If you don’t think it is done, it probably is not, and you have to cook it for a couple more hours.
- Let it sit for 30-45 minutes before cutting.
- Enjoy the best brisket of your life.
What is a brisket?
Brisket is the cut of meat from the chest of the cow.
Brisket is a tough cut of meat because the muscles are used a lot as the cow walks. This is why brisket is always cooked slowly, to break down the muscle and fat for a tender result.
When choosing a brisket, you’re going to want to go with the best quality you can afford, with plenty of marbling.
Let it rest
Once you’ve taken out the brisket from the smoker, it is important to let it rest for 30-45 minutes. As the brisket slowly cools, the cells start to pull the juices back in. If you slice the brisket too soon, all the juices will pour out.
If you’re worried about the brisket cooling too quickly, you can keep it in a cooler (without the ice).
Looking for roasted recipes? Try my Keto Roasted Chicken with Lemon and Rosemary. It will level up your roasted chicken recipe.
More articles about Keto Diet: