This is the perfect cake when you have a lot of zucchini from the garden and love lemon and coconut.
I love lemon desserts. After chocolate desserts, of course. There is something about the sour and the sweet together that makes my taste buds come alive. Not to mention, coconut. I’ve always have been pretty obsessed with coconut.
When I was studying to be a Dietician, I was taught that coconut oil was bad and I was devastated. I’m sure that is one of the reasons I decided I can’t ever be a dietician. I love coconut oil too much to have to tell people it is bad.
We’ve come a long way from then, and although there are some current controversies about coconut oil, I think most people would agree on its health benefits.
The point being, I am an advocate of coconut 100%, and this cake combines some of my favorite things, coconut, zucchini, and lemon.
Zucchini is one of those wonderful vegetables that are so versatile. You can use it for a pasta substitute, make fritters, bread and all kinds of desserts, like this one.
This cake is light, airy and refreshing. It goes perfectly with a cup of tea, or when you’ve eaten a lot of heavy foods and want something fresh to even things out.
Some people would argue this seems more of a summer dessert, but I say, why not bring this to your next Holiday get together? It will stand out among all the pies and cookies. It’s easy on the eyes too.
Either way, this cake is perfect any time and is easy to make.
The best part? Feeding it to your toddler and watch them eat it not knowing there is zucchini in there. Makes me say “Buahahahaha” (Dr. Evil voice) to myself every time.
Feel free to hold off on the coconut if you don’t like it. Also, you can add more lemon zest and lemon juice to make it tangier. I enjoyed the sour taste of lemon in a dessert, so I always add more than the recipe calls for.
- 1/2 cup Lakanto Sweetener (use code eatbefitexplore for 20% off)
- 2 large, Egg
- 1/3 cup, Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp, Lemon juice, raw
- 1 tsp, Vanilla extract
- 2 cup, Almond Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp, baking powder
- 1/2 tsp., Kosher Salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp, Lemon juice
- 6 tbs, Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cup (grated), Zucchini, Grated and squeezed dry
- 2 tbsp, Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup, Confectioners Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add eggs and coconut milk and whisk together.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until incorporated.
- Fold in zucchini and lemon zest and coconut
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes
- Place the loaf on a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes.
- Use the parchment paper to carefully lift the cake from the pan.
- Let cool completely on rack.
- In a small bowl, combine Swerve confectioners sugar and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake.
- Slice and serve.
Ensure that you remove as much water from the zucchini as possible for this recipe so the cake doesn’t get too soggy.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 125
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
This post contains an affiliate link in which if a purchase is made I receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!