The best dessert gets a healthy makeover aka Fudgy Keto Avocado Brownies! With these simple ingredients, you’re no more than just a minute away from a hunger-squashing, fudgy bite!
If you’re on the hunt for a delicious and healthy dessert that fits within your keto lifestyle, look no further than these incredible Keto Avocado Brownies!
They’re moist, chocolatey, and filled with healthy fats from avocados. In this blog post, we’ll go through everything you need to know about these brownies, from what they are to how to make them, as well as tips and tricks to ensure you get the best results.
We’ll also cover how to sweeten your keto brownies and store and freeze avocados, so let’s get started!
The Power of Avocado in Keto Desserts
Avocado is a fantastic addition to a variety of dishes, but did you know that it also makes an excellent ingredient in keto-friendly desserts?
This versatile fruit is packed with healthy fats and nutrients, making it an ideal choice for those following a ketogenic diet.
The Benefits of Avocado in Keto Desserts:
- Healthy Fats: One of the main reasons avocado shines in keto desserts is its high-fat content, with a majority being monounsaturated fats. These healthy fats are essential for those following a keto diet, as they help the body maintain ketosis and provide a sustainable source of energy.
- Creamy Texture: The natural creaminess of avocados lends itself well to various dessert recipes. When blended or mashed, avocados create a smooth, velvety texture that can mimic traditional high-carb ingredients like butter, cream, or even bananas.
- Mild Flavor: Avocado has a subtle, mild flavor that pairs well with other ingredients and allows it to blend seamlessly into various dessert recipes. Its taste is easily masked by stronger flavors, such as chocolate, vanilla, or fruits, making it a versatile addition to many keto-friendly treats.
- Nutrient-Dense: In addition to its healthy fats, avocados are also rich in vitamins and minerals, such as potassium, vitamin K, and folate. Including avocado in your keto desserts is an excellent way to boost your nutrient intake while enjoying a delicious treat.
- Natural Sweetness: While avocados aren’t particularly sweet, they do have a hint of natural sweetness that can contribute to the overall flavor of a dessert. This mild sweetness can help reduce the amount of added sweeteners needed in a recipe.
Incorporating Avocado into Keto Desserts:
Now that we’ve explored the benefits of using avocado in keto desserts let’s look at some ways to incorporate this nutrient-rich fruit into your sweet treats.
- Avocado Brownies: As mentioned earlier in this article, avocado is an excellent substitute for butter or oil in brownie recipes. It’s creaminess and mild flavor make it the perfect addition to create rich, fudgy brownies that are low in carbs and high in healthy fats.
- Avocado Chocolate Mousse: For a simple yet luxurious dessert, blend avocado with cocoa powder, a keto-friendly sweetener, and a splash of vanilla extract. The result is a smooth, creamy chocolate mousse that is both indulgent and keto-approved.
- Avocado Ice Cream: Create a delicious, homemade keto ice cream by blending avocado with heavy cream, a keto-friendly sweetener, and your choice of flavorings, such as vanilla or cocoa powder. Freeze the mixture and enjoy a creamy, satisfying ice cream that is low in carbs and high in healthy fats.
- Avocado Cheesecake: Avocado can also be used as a key ingredient in a keto cheesecake. Combine it with cream cheese, a keto-friendly sweetener, and flavorings like vanilla or lemon zest for a decadent, low-carb cheesecake that will impress your taste buds.
- Avocado Smoothies: For a quick and easy keto dessert, blend avocado with unsweetened almond milk, ice, a keto-friendly sweetener, and your choice of flavorings, such as cocoa powder or berries. The result is a thick, creamy smoothie that is both refreshing and satisfying.
What are Avocado Brownies?
Avocado brownies are a unique twist on the traditional brownie recipe, using mashed avocado as the primary fat source in place of butter or oil.
This not only makes the brownies healthier but also adds incredible richness and moisture to the final product.
When combined with keto-friendly ingredients, such as almond flour and sugar-free chocolate, these avocado brownies are the perfect guilt-free treat for those following a ketogenic diet.
Best Keto Avocado Dessert
I don’t know what I love more about this sugar-free avocado brownie recipe – the fact that my food processor does most of the work, or that I can quell my kids’ chocolate cravings while also knowing they are eating a healthy snack.
Or perhaps it is that I can have one (or three) for breakfast with my morning coffee… (it is definitely that). And these low-calorie keto brownies are just the perfect dessert.
For bigger occasions, you can opt for keto avocado chocolate cake to make your guests exclaim with joy!
The magic ingredient is – as you might have guessed – the avocado. If you haven’t tried avocado in baking before you may be apprehensive – and I totally get it. I was also initially. I was used to having avocado on toast, or in salads.
But in my cakes and brownies?! Well, I call these my weight watchers avocado brownies to satiate my cravings guilt-free.
After my first attempt though, I was hooked. Adding avocado to baked goods makes them fudgy, gooey, and creamy. And because avocados have a very neutral flavor, you don’t even taste them.
- 1/2 cup Lakanto Syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp brewed coffee
- 4 oz Sugar-Free Baking Chocolate (melted)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup almond flour
What can I use to sweeten these keto brownies?
Lakanto syrup, used in this recipe, is an excellent sugar substitute for keto brownies.
Made from a blend of erythritol and monk fruit extract, it adds sweetness without spiking blood sugar levels.
A sugar alcohol that has a similar taste and texture to sugar, with minimal impact on blood sugar levels. It can be used in a 1:1 ratio as a sugar substitute.
A rare sugar that is naturally found in small amounts in fruits such as figs and raisins. It has a similar taste and texture to sugar but is only partially absorbed by the body, making it keto-friendly.
Another sugar alcohol can be used in keto recipes. However, be cautious with xylitol, as it can be toxic to pets, especially dogs.
Tips Before Baking the Keto-friendly Avocado Brownies
A quick tip – during the mixing process, scrape the sides of the bowl a couple of times to ensure that you don’t end up with green avocado bits in the batter. (Because it looks a little off-putting even if you can’t really taste it.)
In this recipe, I use two avocados. I am basing this off medium-sized avocados, about the size of my fist. Yours may be bigger, but you want to end up with around 1 cup of mashed avocado.
If you aren’t going to eat these in one go, you can store your low-carb keto avocado dessert in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze them for up to 3 months.
tips & tricks for making the best keto avocado brownies
- Make sure to use ripe avocados for the best texture and flavor. They should be soft to the touch but not overly mushy.
- When mashing the avocado, ensure it’s as smooth as possible to avoid any lumps in your brownies.
- To prevent the brownies from sticking to the pan, line it with parchment paper or use a silicone baking mat.
- Keep an eye on the brownies while they bake, as oven temperatures can vary. Check them after 20 minutes and keep a close watch to avoid overbaking.. Use high-quality cocoa powder and sugar-free baking chocolate for the best flavor. Opt for unsweetened cocoa powder and chocolate with a high cocoa content for a richer taste.
- To give your brownies an extra boost of flavor, add a pinch of sea salt or a handful of sugar-free chocolate chips or chopped nuts.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting them. This will help them set and make it easier to achieve clean slices.
- For a unique twist, try adding a teaspoon of cinnamon or a dash of cayenne pepper to the batter for subtle warmth and complexity.
Macros Breakdown for Keto Brownies
It’s essential to note that the macros for these Keto Brownies can vary depending on the specific brands and ingredients used.
However, we’ll provide you with a general overview of what you can expect in terms of macros per brownie.
Assuming this recipe yields 16 brownies, here’s the approximate macros breakdown for one serving:
- Calories: 110-130 kcal
- Fat: 9-11g
- Protein: 3-4g
- Net Carbs: 2-3g
- Fiber: 3-4g
Keep in mind that substitutions or additional ingredients can impact these macros.
Understanding the Macros:
In a ketogenic diet, the primary focus is on keeping your net carb intake low while maintaining a higher fat and moderate protein intake.
Here’s a brief overview of each macro in our Keto Brownies:
- Fat: With 9-11g of fat per serving, these brownies provide a good source of healthy fats, primarily from avocados and almond flour. These fats help keep you satiated and support your keto goals.
- Protein: Each brownie contains 3-4g of protein, which comes from almond flour. While not exceptionally high in protein, these brownies offer a moderate amount that complements your daily protein needs.
- Net Carbs: With only 2-3g of net carbs per brownie, these treats are perfect for those on a keto diet. The low net carb count is achieved by using almond flour instead of traditional wheat flour and sugar substitutes like Lakanto syrup.
- Fiber: These Keto Brownies also provide 3-4g of fiber per serving, which is essential for healthy digestion and can help you feel fuller for longer.
How to Store and Freeze Keto Avocado Brownies
To store keto brownies, first, allow them to cool completely.
Then, transfer them to an airtight container or wrap them individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
They can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Keep in mind that storing them in the refrigerator may slightly alter the texture, making them more fudgy.
To freeze keto brownies, follow these steps:
- Allow the brownies to cool completely after baking.
- Cut the brownies into individual portions.
- Wrap each brownie tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Alternatively, you can place them in a freezer-safe, airtight container with a piece of parchment paper between each layer to prevent sticking.
- Label the container with the date and type of brownies.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw frozen keto brownies, remove the desired number of brownies from the freezer and allow them to thaw at room temperature for about 30 minutes to an hour.
If you prefer, you can also gently reheat them in the microwave or oven until warmed through.
More Keto Recipes to try: