These Clean Keto Protein Energy Balls are the perfect pick-me-up for any time of the day. They are dairy-free, sugar-free, no baking required and only take a few minutes to make!
I like to make sure I have a healthy quick snack on hand when the cravings hit, or when my kids are hungry and it isn’t quite dinner time just yet. Protein balls are a popular snack that can be easily prepared and enjoyed on the go.
Protein balls also called protein bites are a favorite – not only do they stop the cravings, but because they are high in protein, they are also filling, so I’m not looking for another snack 10 minutes later!
Clean Keto Protein Energy Balls are small, bite-sized healthy snacks made with wholesome, keto-friendly ingredients that are designed to provide a quick burst of energy and keep you feeling full and satisfied.
These keto protein balls are packed with protein from sources such as protein powder, nut butter, or seeds, as well as good fats from ingredients like coconut oil or avocado. They are free from refined sugars and carbohydrates, making them a great option for those following a clean keto diet or a low-carb diet.
Clean Keto Protein Balls are incredibly versatile, easy to make, and can be customized to suit individual tastes and dietary requirements. They can be made with a variety of ingredients, such as nuts, seeds, coconut, and spices, and can be flavored with natural sweeteners like stevia or monk fruit.
Keto Protein balls are also very easy to make and can be stored in the fridge or freezer for a quick and convenient snack throughout the week. This is a no-bake recipe!
One of the great things about keto protein balls is that they can be customized to your taste preferences and nutritional needs. Protein balls are also versatile.
They can be enjoyed as a snack, or even as a healthy dessert option. They can be dipped in chocolate or rolled in coconut flakes for added texture and flavor.
Here are some variations of the Clean Keto Protein Energy Balls recipe:
- Chocolate Clean Keto Protein Energy Balls: Add 1-2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and 1-2 tablespoons of keto-friendly sweetener (such as stevia, erythritol, or monk fruit sweetener) to the base recipe. Mix well before shaping into balls.
- Peanut Butter Clean Keto Protein Energy Balls: Add 2-3 tablespoons of natural peanut butter to the base recipe. Mix well before shaping into balls. Optionally, you can also add a tablespoon or two of chopped peanuts to give the balls a crunchy texture.
- Coconut Clean Keto Protein Energy Balls: Add 2-3 tablespoons of unsweetened shredded coconut to the base recipe. Mix well before shaping into balls. Optionally, you can also roll the balls in additional shredded coconut after shaping them for extra coconut flavor and texture.
- Cinnamon Clean Keto Protein Energy Balls: Add 1-2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon and 1-2 tablespoons of keto-friendly sweetener (such as stevia, erythritol, or monk fruit sweetener) to the base recipe. Mix well before shaping into balls. Optionally, you can also roll the balls in additional cinnamon sugar (made with your preferred keto-friendly sweetener and ground cinnamon) after shaping them for extra cinnamon flavor.
- Lemon Clean Keto Protein Energy Balls: Add the zest of one lemon and 1-2 tablespoons of keto-friendly sweetener (such as stevia, erythritol, or monk fruit sweetener) to the base recipe. Mix well before shaping into balls. Optionally, you can also add a teaspoon or two of fresh lemon juice for extra lemon flavor.
These variations are just a few examples of how you can customize the Clean Keto Protein Energy Balls recipe to your liking. The recipe I am sharing with you today is really simple and contains no sugar or dairy.
This protein ball recipe is refined sugar-free and it’s also really easy to make! Just mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl, use a scoop to make small portions, and roll them into small balls with your hands.
So easy, even the kids can get involved! While it won’t be as sweet as a traditional candy bar, the natural sweetness from the combination of all of the ingredients will definitely satisfy those cravings without the added sugar. You won’t even miss the sugar!
Here are some different keto-friendly sweeteners that can be used in place of traditional sugar in keto recipes to enjoy sugar-free dishes:
- Stevia: Stevia is a natural sweetener derived from the leaves of the stevia plant. It has zero calories and zero carbohydrates and is about 200-300 times sweeter than sugar. Stevia can be used in both liquid and powder forms.
- Erythritol: Erythritol is a sugar alcohol that is found naturally in some fruits and fermented foods. It has zero calories and zero net carbs and is about 70% as sweet as sugar. Erythritol can be used in baking recipes and as a sweetener for beverages.
- Monk Fruit Sweetener: Monk fruit sweetener is a natural sweetener derived from monk fruit. It has zero calories and zero net carbs and is about 100-250 times sweeter than sugar. Monk fruit sweetener can be used in both liquid and powder form.
- Xylitol: Xylitol is another sugar alcohol that is commonly used as a sugar substitute. It has about 2.4 calories per gram, 0.6 net carbs per gram, and is about as sweet as sugar. Xylitol can be used in baking recipes and as a sweetener for beverages.
- Allulose: Allulose is a rare sugar that is found naturally in some fruits. It has about 70% of the sweetness of sugar, with only 10% of the calories. Allulose is a good option for baking and cooking and does not have a strong aftertaste like some other sugar substitutes.
- Yacon Syrup: Yacon syrup is a sweet syrup made from the roots of the yacon plant. It has a low glycemic index and contains about half the calories of sugar. Yacon syrup can be used in place of traditional syrup or honey in recipes.
When using keto-friendly sweeteners, it’s important to keep in mind that they may have different properties and behaviors than traditional sugar in recipes. It’s best to follow recipes specifically designed for the sweetener being used and to experiment with different sweeteners to find the ones that work best for individual taste preferences.
Healthy fats and protein
Almond butter is a creamy spread made from ground almonds that are high in good fats, protein, and fiber. It is an excellent addition to a low-carb or clean keto diet because it is low in carbohydrates and provides a sustained source of energy.
Almond butter is also a good source of vitamin E, which is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage. It can be used as a spread on keto-friendly bread or crackers, as a dip for vegetables, or added to smoothies or desserts for added creaminess and flavor.
Additionally, it is a good source of monounsaturated fats, which are known to be heart-healthy and can help to reduce inflammation in the body.
Almond flour, on the other hand, is a popular ingredient in many clean keto recipes because it is low in carbohydrates and high in good fats and fiber. It is made from finely ground almonds, which means it retains all of the nutritional benefits of whole almonds.
Almond flour is a great alternative to traditional wheat flour in baking and cooking, as it adds a nutty flavor and a moist texture to dishes without spiking blood sugar levels. Additionally, almond flour is a good source of vitamin E, magnesium, and protein, which are all important for overall health.
Don’t have almond flour or almond butter? You can use your food processor to finely grind some almonds into flour. If you leave the food processor going, the flour will eventually turn into almond butter.
This is a great way to keep track of exactly what you are eating as you won’t have to worry about any additives.
You can experiment with different flavor combinations if you have flavored whey protein powder. I have used cocoa powder as well in this recipe to give them a rich chocolate flavor.
Protein powder is a key ingredient in Clean Keto Protein Energy Balls because it provides a quick and easy source of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing muscles, and it can also help to keep you feeling full and satisfied between meals.
Protein powder is a great addition to a clean keto diet or a low-carb diet.
When following a low-carb or clean keto diet, it is important to ensure that you are getting enough protein to support your body’s needs. Protein powder can be a great option, as it is easy to incorporate into meals and snacks.
Protein powder can be mixed into smoothies, used to make protein bars or keto energy balls, or simply mixed with water or almond milk for a quick and easy protein boost.
Protein powder is also beneficial for those following a low-carb or clean keto diet because it is typically low in carbohydrates and free from added sugars. This makes protein powder a great option for those who are trying to limit their carbohydrate intake and maintain a state of ketosis.
Additionally, many protein powders are available in plant-based options, making them suitable for vegans and those with dairy allergies or intolerances.
It is important to choose a high-quality protein powder that is free from additives, fillers, and artificial ingredients. Look for a protein powder that is made from whole food sources, such as grass-fed whey protein, pea protein, or hemp protein.
These options are typically more nutrient-dense and less processed than other types of protein powder.
There are many types of protein powder available, including whey, casein, egg, and plant-based options like pea or hemp protein.
Different types of keto-friendly protein powder
Here are some types of keto-friendly protein powders:
- Whey Protein Isolate: Whey protein isolate is a type of whey protein that has been further processed to remove most of the lactose, fat, and carbohydrates. It typically contains at least 90% protein by weight and is a popular choice among those following a low-carb or keto diet due to its high protein content and low carbohydrate content.
- Collagen Protein Powder: Collagen protein powder is made from the connective tissue of animals, such as cows, chickens, or fish. It’s a rich source of amino acids that are important for skin, hair, nail, and joint health. Collagen protein powder is typically flavorless and can be easily mixed into drinks or food.
- Egg White Protein Powder: Egg white protein powder is made from dried egg whites and is a complete protein source that’s rich in branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs). It’s a popular choice among those with dairy allergies or intolerances, as it’s lactose-free.
- Pea Protein Powder: Pea protein powder is a plant-based protein powder that’s made from yellow split peas. It’s a complete protein source that’s rich in branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) and is a good choice for vegans or those with dairy or soy allergies.
- Hemp Protein Powder: Hemp protein powder is a plant-based protein powder that’s made from ground hemp seeds. It’s a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids and is a good choice for vegans or those with dairy or soy allergies. Hemp protein powder has a nutty flavor and can be easily mixed into smoothies or baked goods.
When selecting a keto-friendly protein powder, it’s important to read the ingredient list and nutrition label carefully to ensure that it meets your dietary needs and preferences. Additionally, it’s a good idea to consult with a healthcare provider or registered dietitian to determine the best protein sources for your unique dietary goals and needs.
Other ingredients for clean keto energy balls
Here are other simple ingredients you need to make this super easy keto recipe. These are all keto-friendly!
Coconut oil is a healthy fat that is commonly used in clean keto recipes because it is high in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). MCTs are quickly metabolized by the body and can provide a quick source of energy, making them an excellent addition to protein balls.
Coconut oil is also rich in lauric acid, which has been shown to have antibacterial and antiviral properties. It is also a good source of vitamin E, which is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage.
Cocoa powder is an excellent addition to clean keto protein balls because it provides a rich, chocolatey flavor without adding any sugar or carbs. It is also a good source of antioxidants, which can help to protect cells from damage and reduce inflammation in the body.
Additionally, cocoa powder contains compounds that have been shown to improve mood and cognitive function.
Chia seeds are a good source of fiber, protein, and good fats, making them an excellent addition to clean keto recipes. Chia seeds are also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can help to reduce inflammation and improve heart health.
Chia seeds can absorb up to 10 times their weight in water, which can help to keep you feeling full and satisfied. It’s very low in carbs and a great source of fiber.
Not only that Chia Seeds are also versatile enough to be added to almost anything – breakfast bowls, salads, smoothies, and even desserts like these keto protein balls.
Coconut flakes are a tasty addition to clean keto protein balls that provide a source of good fats and fiber. They are also rich in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which can provide a quick source of energy.
They contain compounds that have been shown to have antibacterial and antiviral properties, making them an excellent addition to a healthy diet.
How to store and transport keto protein energy balls
Protein balls are a great snack option that can provide a quick and convenient source of energy on the go. However, it is important to store and transport them properly to ensure that they maintain their texture and flavor.
Here are some tips on how to store and transport protein balls:
Store in an airtight container
Protein balls should be stored in an airtight container to prevent them from drying out or becoming stale. A glass or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid is a good option. Alternatively, you can use a reusable zip-top bag.
Keep it in the refrigerator
Protein balls can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. This will help them to maintain their texture and flavor. If you prefer a firmer texture, you can also store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Separate with parchment paper
If you are stacking protein balls in a container or bag, it is a good idea to separate them with parchment paper to prevent them from sticking together.
Transport in a cooler
If you need to transport protein balls, it is best to keep them in a cooler to prevent them from getting too warm. This is especially important if you are transporting them in hot weather or for a long period of time.
Pack in a sealable bag
When transporting protein balls, it is important to keep them in a sealable bag or container to prevent them from spilling or getting crushed. A reusable zip-top bag or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid is a good option.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your protein balls stay fresh and delicious, no matter where your busy schedule takes you.
Benefits of eating Clean Keto
- Supports weight loss: One of the primary benefits of eating clean keto is weight loss. By limiting your carbohydrate intake and increasing your intake of nutritious fats and proteins, you can help your body to burn fat for fuel instead of glucose. This can lead to more rapid weight loss and can also help to reduce cravings and hunger.
- Reduces inflammation: Eating clean keto can help to reduce inflammation in the body, which is a key factor in many chronic diseases. By eliminating processed foods, refined sugars, and grains, you can reduce the burden on your body’s immune system and improve overall health.
- Improves energy levels: Many people report increased energy levels and mental clarity when following a clean keto diet. By providing your body with a steady source of nutritious fats and proteins, you can avoid the crashes and spikes in blood sugar that can lead to fatigue and brain fog.
- Supports heart health: Eating clean keto can also have a positive impact on heart health. By increasing your intake of nutritious fats and reducing your intake of processed and refined foods, you can help to reduce your risk of heart disease.
- Improves insulin sensitivity: Clean keto eating can also help to improve insulin sensitivity and blood sugar control. By limiting your carbohydrate intake, you can help to regulate insulin levels and reduce the risk of insulin resistance.
- Supports brain health: The nutritious fats and nutrients found in clean keto foods can also have a positive impact on brain health. By providing your brain with the nutrients it needs to function optimally, you can improve focus, memory, and cognitive function.
If you’re considering following a clean keto diet, it’s important to work with a healthcare provider or registered dietitian to ensure that you are meeting your nutritional needs and maintaining a healthy balance of macronutrients.
More Keto Recipes to Try:
- Clean Keto Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- The Best Keto Snack Recipes
- The Best Easy Clean Keto Lunch Recipes
If you want to learn more about Clean Keto Diet, check out my post that talks about What is Clean Keto and Why it Helps you Lose Weight Faster?
Whether you’re following a low-carb or a clean keto diet, or simply looking for a healthy snack option, keto protein balls are definitely worth trying.
Did you like this protein ball recipe and looking for more no-bake desserts? Try my Keto No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls. You only need a few minutes to make these energy bites.
These keto peanut butter balls are also delicious energy bites and easy go-to healthy snacks that can be enjoyed by everyone and will satisfy sweet cravings. This is one of my favorite keto recipes.