This slow-cooker Cuban pork has so much flavor! Not to mention, it’s super easy to make!
Are you tired of the same old boring dinners?
Spice up your weeknight meals with this delicious Slow Cooker Cuban Pork recipe! Not only is this dish packed with incredible flavors, but it’s also easy to make and perfect for busy schedules.
In this blog post, we’ll be diving into the world of Cuban cuisine and exploring the ingredients that make this dish so delectable. So, let’s get started and bring a taste of Cuba to your kitchen!
A Glimpse into Cuban Cuisine:
Cuban cuisine is a delightful fusion of Spanish, African, and Caribbean flavors.
The dishes are known for their bold and vibrant taste, which comes from the perfect blend of spices, herbs, and fresh ingredients.
Slow Cooker Cuban Pork is a prime example of this scrumptious fusion, offering a symphony of flavors that will have your taste buds dancing with delight.
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s take a closer look at some of the key ingredients that make this dish so delectable:
- Pork Shoulder: Also known as “Boston Butt,” this cut of meat is perfect for slow cooking due to its high-fat content and tender texture. It’s the star of this dish, so be sure to choose a high-quality pork shoulder from a trusted source like Butcher Box.
- Primal Kitchen Tomato Sauce: This delicious sauce is made with all-natural ingredients, free of artificial additives or sweeteners. It adds a rich and tangy base to the dish. Don’t forget to use the code “ketofitmomlife” for 20% off your purchase!
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce: These smoked and dried jalapeños provide a smoky and spicy kick to the dish. However, if you’re not a fan of heat, you can omit them from the recipe.
- Lime Juice: The addition of lime juice brightens up the dish and adds a touch of acidity, enhancing the flavors of the other ingredients.
Now, let’s dive into the step-by-step process of making this mouthwatering Slow Cooker Cuban Pork!
Step 1: Browning the Pork
To start, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the 4 lb pork shoulder liberally with salt and pepper. Once the oil is hot, brown the pork on both sides, approximately 5 minutes per side. This step is crucial for developing a rich flavor and sealing in the juices.
Step 2: Prepping the Vegetables and Aromatics
While the pork is browning, it’s time to prep the vegetables and aromatics. Slice 1 medium onion, mince 2 garlic cloves, and slice 1 jalapeño and 1 poblano pepper if you’re using them. If you prefer a milder dish, feel free to omit the peppers or adjust the quantities to your liking.
Step 3: Setting up the Slow Cooker
Turn your crockpot on to high for 6 hours. Add the sliced onions, minced garlic, sliced peppers, 2 cups of Primal Kitchen Tomato Sauce, 2 cups of chicken stock, 1 teaspoon of coriander, and 1 teaspoon of cumin. Stir everything together to ensure the ingredients are well combined.
Step 4: Cooking the Pork
Place the browned pork shoulder in the middle of the slow cooker, nestling it among the vegetables and sauce. Cook on high for 6 hours, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking. The pork is done when it is fork-tender and can be easily shredded.
This is the type of recipe I call a ‘Goes With Everything’ recipe.
A 4lb piece of Pork Shoulder makes 8 servings so you can serve this one way for dinner and then a completely different way for lunch the next day. (Actually, this would make a great lunch served in lettuce wraps!)
The chipotle peppers in adobo sauce add a bit of spice, but you can omit them if you don’t want the heat. Check the ingredients on the jar of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce before purchasing, as some brands have added sugar.
There is very little effort that goes into this keto Cuban Pork recipe – the slow cooker does most of the work.
Tips For The Best Slow-Cooker Pork
I’ll be honest – it is rather difficult to get it wrong when cooking meat in a slow cooker, but there are a few tips to help you ensure you get the tastiest end result!
Choose The Right Cut
The ideal cut is one that is tough, well-marbled, and fatty. A pork shoulder meets these criteria and is perfect for slow cooking.
Leaner cuts would become dried-out and tough, but pork shoulder becomes tender and very tasty!
Keep The Lid Closed
You may be tempted to take a peek and see how the pork is coming along, but each time you open the lid, it will add an additional 15-20 minutes of cooking time!
Brown The Meat For Flavor
It is possible to pile all the ingredients into your slow cooker and end up with a delicious meal, but by taking the time to brown the meat first will take it to the next level. You will end up with a richer, caramelized flavor.
FAQs about Slow Cooker Cuban Pork:
- Can I make this with a pork loin instead? Yes, you can make Cuban pork with a pork loin, but keep in mind that it will be leaner and have a slightly different taste compared to using a pork shoulder. Adjust the cooking time to 7 hours on low for a pork loin.
- Can I use chicken instead? Absolutely! If you prefer chicken, you can substitute pork shoulder with chicken thighs. Cook them on low for 8 hours to achieve tender and flavorful results.
- Can I make this dish spicy? If you enjoy a spicy kick, you can add two diced jalapenos to the recipe for a fiery twist. Alternatively, you can opt for one diced habanero pepper if you prefer a stronger heat. Adjust the amount according to your spice preference.
- Can I freeze the leftovers? Certainly! Slow Cooker Cuban Pork freezes very well. After cooking, let it cool completely and then store it in small airtight containers or ziplock bags. It can be frozen for up to three months. When ready to enjoy, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
With these FAQs answered you can confidently prepare and customize your Slow Cooker Cuban Pork to suit your preferences.
Whether you choose to use pork shoulder or chicken, make it spicy or mild, this versatile recipe will satisfy your cravings for a flavorful and satisfying meal.
Storing, Freezing, and Reheating Your Keto Cuban Slow Cooker Pork
In this section, we’ll discuss how to properly store, freeze, and reheat your delicious Keto Cuban Slow Cooker Pork.
After all, you don’t want any of this scrumptious dish to go to waste! By following these simple guidelines, you can enjoy this flavorful meal for days to come.
Storing Leftover Keto Cuban Slow Cooker Pork:
If you have leftovers, it’s essential to store them properly to ensure they remain fresh and safe to eat. Follow these steps to store your leftover Keto Cuban Slow Cooker Pork:
- Allow the pork to cool to room temperature. It’s important not to leave it sitting out for too long, as this could encourage the growth of harmful bacteria. Aim to cool and store the leftovers within two hours of cooking.
- Transfer the pork and any remaining sauce to airtight containers. This will help to preserve the flavor and prevent any potential contamination from other foods in your refrigerator.
- Refrigerate the leftovers promptly. Store them in the refrigerator at or below 40°F (4°C) for up to 4 days.
Freezing Keto Cuban Slow Cooker Pork:
If you want to store your leftovers for an extended period, freezing is an excellent option. Follow these steps to freeze your Keto Cuban Slow Cooker Pork:
- Allow the pork to cool to room temperature, as mentioned in the storing process.
- Transfer the cooled pork to freezer-safe containers or heavy-duty freezer bags. Be sure to leave some space at the top of the container or bag, as the sauce may expand slightly when frozen.
- Label the containers or bags with the date and contents to ensure you remember what’s inside and when it was frozen.
- Freeze the leftovers promptly. Store them in the freezer at or below 0°F (-18°C) for up to 3 months for optimal taste and texture.
Reheating Keto Cuban Slow Cooker Pork:
When you’re ready to enjoy your stored or frozen Keto Cuban Slow Cooker Pork, follow these steps to reheat it safely and maintain its delicious flavors:
- If the pork is frozen, transfer it to the refrigerator and allow it to thaw completely. This process may take several hours or even overnight, so plan accordingly.
- Once the pork has thawed, transfer it to a saucepan or skillet. Reheat the pork over low heat, stirring occasionally to ensure even heating.
- If the sauce has thickened too much during storage, add a small amount of chicken stock or water to thin it out as needed.
- Heat the Keto Cuban Slow Cooker Pork until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C), as measured with a food thermometer. This is the recommended temperature to ensure that any harmful bacteria have been destroyed.
- Serve the reheated pork with your favorite keto-friendly side dishes and enjoy!
By following these storage, freezing, and reheating guidelines, you can savor your Keto Cuban Slow Cooker Pork whenever you like.
It’s the perfect way to enjoy a delicious and convenient meal, even on your busiest days!
Overall, Clean Keto Slow Cooker Cuban Pork is a must-try recipe for anyone who’s looking for a delicious, healthy, and easy-to-make meal. Whether you’re following a keto diet or simply looking for a flavorful dish to add to your meal rotation, this recipe is sure to please. So, grab your slow cooker and give it a try!
More Keto Recipes to try: