These Buffalo Goat Cheese Balls can be made using Goat Cheese or Mozzarella Cheese, either way, they are heavenly!
I believe there are two different types of people in this world; Goat cheese lovers and Goat cheese haters. Which one are you?
If you are a Goat cheese hater, don’t leave just yet. You can make these balls using Mozzarella cheese. Now, if you don’t like either, what is wrong with you?
I am a Goat cheese lover, and my husband is not. He thinks Goat cheese tastes like dirt. However, he will eat Blue Cheese which is like eating straight up mold, so I just don’t get it.
Anyhow, I got inspired by this recipe by Half Baked Harvest which is one of my favorite food bloggers. Her recipes and pictures are off the charts. Most of them are not Keto compliant. However, I saw her make these Buffalo Goat Cheese Balls, and because I love Goat cheese and was determined to make them low-carb.
Taking a few handfuls of Pork Rinds and processing them in a food processor or just placing them in a ziplock bag and crushing them with a meat mallet is a great way to make keto “breadcrumbs.” (also, the later is very therapeutic)
From there, you make the buffalo sauce. Combine your favorite hot sauce (I used Frank’s) with melted butter and season it with some pepper. I like to do it over low heat in a saucepan, but you can use a microwave also.
Lastly, is frying the balls. You can do this a few different ways. You can fill a dutch oven or deep pot with Coconut Oil about 1 inch high, and you can use an air fryer if you have one, or merely bake these.
If you are going to fry these in a dutch oven, make sure you are being smart about it and don’t let your kids near the pot. The oil tends to splatter once you put the balls in.
While they are swimming in the oil, move them around occasionally, so the breading doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan and come off of the balls. That happened a few times when I was making these, so I learned my lesson.
If you are using a large log of goat cheese, you will probably make about 20 balls. If you are using mozzarella cheese, I recommend you purchase the little balls in the containers because they will be much easier to work withPrint
For the Balls;
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1–2 cups crushed Pork Rinds
- 1 Egg whisked
- 1 tbsp water
- 1– 8oz Log of Goat Cheese or 8 oz Mozzarella Balls
- Coconut oil for frying
For the Buffalo Sauce
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup Franks Hot Sauce
- Roll the goat cheese into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Place on a plate and set in the refrigerator.
- Set up your dipping station. In a small bowl, add in the coconut flour.
- In another small bowl add the crushed pork rinds.
- In a third small bowl, combine the egg with water.
- Set up a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Take the goat cheese out of the refrigerator.
- Working with one ball at a time, lightly dip the goat cheese ball into the coconut flour, then the egg mixture, then roll it into the pork rinds until covered.
- Place balls on baking sheet.
- In a large dutch oven melt coconut oil 1 inch deep.
- Heat oil until it reaches 350 degrees.
- While oil is heating, melt butter and hot sauce over medium heat in a saucepan. Season with pepper.
- Slowly add in a few balls at a time and fry them, moving them around occasionally so they don’t stick to the bottom.
- Remove the balls when they start to get golden brown.
- Drizzle sauce over balls and serve fresh.
- Serving Size: 2 balls
- Calories: 153
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: keto, appetizer