I used to love pasta dishes – carbonara, bolognese, and my all-time favorite – Keto Zucchini Lasagna!
When switching to a low-carb way of eating, I was worried at first about not being able to get my past fix.
After some experimenting, I realized that the best parts of the pasta dishes were the sauces.
The actual pasta was just the carrier of the sauce.
Once I realized this, I found it much easier – and more fun – to ‘keto-fy’ my carb-heavy favorites.
And of course, one dish I had to get my hands on was lasagna!
There are a variety of vegetables you can use to replace the lasagna sheet in traditional pasta – brinjal, sweet potato, butternut. But my favorite vegetable for low-carb lasagna is zucchini!
Zucchini has a very neutral flavor, and I find the texture works really well as a pasta replacement.
You can up the veg count in this lasagna by adding finely chopped mushrooms and carrots to the meat sauce.
BSB Tribe membership
How Do You Get The Water Out Of Zucchini Lasagna?
A common issue when making zucchini lasagna is that the end result is quite watery.
The trick to overcoming this is to prepare the zucchini before adding it to the rest of the lasagna ingredients.
- First – slice the zucchini in fairly thin slices. I recommend a mandolin that has adjustable blades so you can adjust the thickness. I don’t recommend using a knife, as it makes thicker slices, and thicker slices will hold more water. If you don’t have a mandolin, you can use a vegetable peeler.
- Lay the sliced zucchini out on a kitchen towel and sprinkle with salt. Let excess water sweat out while making the meat sauce. Dab up the water with another kitchen towel.
- If you’d like to go a step further – you can even grill the zucchini for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- 3 medium Zucchini
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp Basil
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 2 lbs Butcher Box Ground Beef- use this link to get a special offer from Butcher Box
- 8 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cup Tomato Sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- Slice zucchini into 1/4 inch strips using a mandolin. Lay on a kitchen towel and sprinkle with salt. Let excess water sweat out while making meat sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Add in basil and oregano. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add in tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer for 15 minutes or until sauce becomes thick. Season with salt and pepper.
To assemble lasagna
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Laddle one thin layer of meat sauce on a 9×13 casserole dish. Layer zucchini on top.
- Using a spatula, spread a layer of ricotta cheese on top of the zucchini. Laddle meat sauce on top.
- Repeat process until you reach the top. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil. Let set before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 193
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 18g
Keywords: zucchini lasagna
A hearty, low-carb keto dinner perfect for the whole family! Looking for Guilt-free Keto Recipes? Check them HERE.