While I love the many healthy dishes we have been eating since switching to a keto diet, I sometimes feel like I need a bit of a break from meat. This Keto Eggplant Parmesan is the perfect way to do that!
On days like this, my go-to meal is Keto Eggplant Parmesan. It is a delicious and comforting low-carb vegetarian meal that my kids also love. (Win-win!)
Eggplant Parmesan, or Melanzane Alla Parmigiana, is a classic Italian recipe of sliced eggplant, layered with cheese and tomato sauce, then baked. It is often topped with breadcrumbs. This keto version eliminates the breadcrumbs and uses a creme fraiche and cheese mixture.
Frying the eggplant is an important step in the recipe – if you simply place the sliced aubergine raw in the mixture, it won’t cook fully in the oven.
This is also a great dish to serve if you have vegetarians coming over for dinner. It is a delicious and impressive dish, but fairly simple to prepare. It is quite a heavy dish, so serve with a fresh green salad on the side.
Keto Eggplant Parmesan tastes best when eaten right away. But – surprisingly – it is also very tasty when served cold! So you can make a big batch, and have enough for lunch the next day.
This is also the kind of recipe that you can use when meal-prepping, as it freezes really well, and it doesn’t make much more effort to double (or even triple) the recipe.
BSB Tribe membership
Is Eggplant ok For the Keto Diet?
Eggplant – also known as aubergine or brinjal – is one of the best vegetables you can eat on a low-carb and keto diet.
A serving size of 100g (roughly one cup of chopped, cooked eggplant) has just 5.88 grams of carbs – 3 grams of which are fiber. Leaving you with just 2.88 grams of net carbs.
It is a hearty vegetable and works well in vegetarian dishes.
Fun fact – eggplants are technically a fruit, but are generally classed as vegetables!Print
- 2 large Eggplant, sliced 1/2″ thick
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 quart tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp minced chives
- 3 tbsp minced parsley
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 12 oz creme fraiche or heavy cream
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375º. Season eggplant slices with salt and pepper. Lightly brush with olive oil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and fry eggplant slices in batches. Set aside.
- Place creme fraiche or heavy cream in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce to about 1 cup and stir in half of the cheesse. Add in all the herb. Season with salt and pepper.
- Oil a 9 inch casserole pan and layer eggplant on the bottom. Cover with a thin layer of the tomato sauce and some cheese. Make two more layers the same way.
- Laddle cream sauce over the top and sprinkle the remainder of cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered until bubbling, 25 minutes.
- Rest before serving.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 235
- Fat: 17g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: Eggplant Parmesan
Looking for more Keto Recipes? Check out HERE.