If you love casseroles, you will enjoy this dairy-free keto chicken and broccoli casserole.
For a hearty, satiating, but easy-to-make comfort food, you can’t go wrong with a simple casserole.
In winter, casseroles are my go-to meals for during the week. They are just so simple and easy to prepare, then I can pop them in the oven and get on with some chores or helping my kids with their homework. (And bonus – fewer dishes to clean afterward)
As a family, we’ve always eaten casseroles, so when we switched to eating low-carb, I knew I wanted to incorporate these satisfying, hearty dishes into our meal plans.
Many ‘regular’ casserole recipes will use canned soup, and white rice or pasta. The sauces are often thickened with flour, and the casseroles are then often topped with breadcrumbs.
Rice, pasta, and breadcrumbs are an obvious ‘no’ when it comes to eating low-carb and keto, but what about the canned soup?
Unfortunately, canned soup will often contain starches that aren’t appropriate for a keto or low-carb diet. Additionally, they will also often contain additives or other unnecessary ingredients.
If you have protein, vegetables, and a hearty sauce, then you’ll find you don’t actually need these extra starchy ingredients for a hearty, filling, and delicious casserole.
How To Make Creamy Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole
The basic recipe for a Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole is quite simple – you need chicken, broccoli, and a creamy sauce that uses dairy (often thick cream of cream cheese) or coconut milk as a base.
For my twist on this basic Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole, I added a couple of special ingredients: bacon and cauliflower rice. The bacon adds additional flavor, while the cauliflower rice works well as the rice substitute.
I’ve used raw chicken thighs for this casserole, but if you want to speed up the cooking time you can use rotisserie chicken. And if you’re in the mood for a crispy topping, grind up some pork rinds to sprinkle on top.Print
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In medium saucepan, combine Chicken Broth and Coconut Cream and bring to a simmer
- Add all the spices, seasonings, Xanthan Gum and whisk to combine.
- Cook sauce on low until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, cook Bacon and set aside
- Grease a 9×13 casserole dish with Coconut Oil. Add Cauliflower rice and cooked Bacon to baking dish
- Pour sauce over Rice and lay Chicken over it. Season with Salt and Pepper and bake for 30 minutes
- Take out of oven, top with Broccoli and Feta. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes
- Let sit for 5 minutes for sauce to thicken.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 542
- Fat: 33g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 45g